Sunday, October 30, 2011

Kristina Sabaite's Etsy Interview


1) Tell us a bit about yourself.
Hello, my name is Kristina Sabaite and I illustrate children’s books. I’m from Lithuania, but now I live in the north of Spain in a town called
Galicia with my husband and our dog Chino. Destiny brought me to Galicia and I am absolutely in love with the green forests, culture and people! I think it helps me concentrate on what I love to create. My husband is a composer and pianist, so we have created a little cozy home studio to work together and be surrounded by art, music and colors!
2) Apart from creating things, what do you do?
I like traveling, searching for magical places in nature and observing animals. I also like reading children’s books, hanging with my friends, watching movies, practicing yoga (it is new to me but I love it!), improvising in the kitchen and drinking a lot of tea. I love speaking with cats and playing with my dog, singing in the shower and spreading positive vibes wherever I can. Also listening to music and dancing when nobody can see me.
3) What would be the title of your memoir?
Happy World. There is always a reason to be happy or to find a minute to smile. I tend to create my personal happy world every day with optimism.
4) Where does your inspiration come from?
Most of my inspiration comes from animals and nature. There are so many colors, so many textures and so many cute things! Inspiration can come from everywhere — you just need to be open minded.
5) What does handmade mean to you?
Handmade means something warm and very personal. It means something is unique and made with care and with calm. A handmade object is a thing with a soul.
6) When did you know you were an artist/maker?
I began to draw when I was very little girl. I was a little bit of a shy, strange child. My grandfather saw that I was an artistic soul, so he put me in various art schools. But then something happened and I was bored drawing dead flowers, fabrics and human body parts — I wanted to draw cats, clouds and strange girls! So I quit art school and had a long period in my life when I was not painting at all but instead studying publicity and mass media, but I eventually realized it was not for me. When destiny brought me to Galicia I decided to ask myself,  “What do I really want to do?” I found out that this was the right moment to create and make cats with strange birds and smiling fish.
7) How would you describe your creative process?
My creative process begins with a sheet of paper. Normally I have no idea what will I draw — it just happens! Then I search for fabric, supplies and other materials to finish the creative process. The more liberty I have to create, the better.
8) If you could peek inside the studio of any artist, designer or craftsman (dead or alive), who would it be?
Can it be
Bjork? I would be absolutely happy to meet her. Her work is just amazing!
9) What handmade possession do you most cherish?
I have many handmade gifts, but my top three are a piece of art from
Claudia Moya, a palm tree from Intres, and my portrait made by my friend Marta Chicote.
10) Where would you like to be in ten years?
I would love to have my own little cozy house with a garden where I can make sculptures of big bunnies and cats. I’d paint the house with polka dots and have a little shelter for rescued farm animals and other abandoned animals. My husband and kids would be there, loving and caring for the nature surrounding us. Oh and also I’d still be living from my art, illustrating books and creating all the time!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments make me smile..