Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Surviving Happily...


 So I am trying as hard as I possibly can to save money and to live on as little as possible...what do I really need to survive and be happy:

Food/Beverage, Cleaning Supplies and Toiletries - I have come up with a regimen for providing for my brood of 7 on $200/week

Shelter and ability to Cook, use Water (drinking and cleaning), regulate Temperature & Light

Clothing -  I am trying to weed out as my laundry pile proves to me that I have too many...I am thinking: 3 dressy outfits (my eastern dress, my 70s overalls, my red-checked 50s 2 piece) 4 everyday outfits (pants or maxi dresses with t-shirts or tanks), 4 lounging (flannels), 4 bedtime (boxers & camis or hubby's t's) 1 special hat (belonged to my hubby when he was a kid), dansco shoes with orthotics and plenty of underclothes

Books & Phone: these are the 2 things that I feel like I must have: books bought at the thrift store or Half-Price Books are really a bargain...books give me empathy and knowledge...and my phone lets me keep in touch - fellowship with & minister to those I love, plus anywhere that has wifi offers internet without having to pay for data...pinterest, emails, and simple blogging can be done this way... 

Career or Ministry: for me - CHILDREN: shop garage sales and thrift store for open-ended play/project materials, find ideas and Printables on Internet (Pinterest, Google Images, etc.), Books: thrift stores and library, Recycle Kitchen Supplies for Crafting; CORRESPONDENCE: through blogging, email and texting - if there ever comes a time when we cannot afford the Internet, remember free wifi is offered all over and printing at the library is affordable...

the icing: Movies, Video Games and the Power needed to supply these - We really don't need cable...there is so little worth watching as it costs around $89 to have cable and internet but only $35 for internet...I really don't want to have to live without internet if we don't have to, but I really feel like cable is unnecessary...I am going to purpose to not watch television and only enjoy movies...

I found this and thought it was enlightening: 

 What Is A Carbon Footprint?

A carbon footprint is a measure of the impact our activities have on the environment, and in particular climate change. It relates to the amount of greenhouse gases produced in our day-to-day lives through burning fossil fuels for electricity, heating and transportation etc.

The carbon footprint is a measurement of all greenhouse gases we individually produce and has units of tonnes (or kg) of carbon dioxide equivalent.

Breakdown of a typical person's carbon footprint

A carbon footprint is made up of the sum of two parts, the primary footprint (shown by the green slices of the pie chart) and the secondary footprint (shown as the yellow slices).

1. The primary footprint is a measure of our direct emissions of CO2 from the burning of fossil fuels including domestic energy consumption and transportation (e.g. car and plane). We have direct control of these.

2. The secondary footprint is a measure of the indirect CO2 emissions from the whole lifecycle of products we use - those associated with their manufacture and eventual breakdown. To put it very simply – the more we buy the more emissions will be caused on our behalf.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments make me smile..