Saturday, January 28, 2012

Budget, Groceries, Recycled Crafts, Thrifting





So sorry to have been absent for several days...I plan on making it my regimen to blog at least 4 times a week...I always worry that I won't have anything to say, but I am only responsible to show up to my keyboard and the words will come...if only I could believe that...

I have been sick for a couple of weeks now and it is starting to get really annoying...I got on meds last week and was feeling a lot better, but as soon as I finished my meds, I went downhill again...the fact that I am blogging today, though, makes me think that I am finally on the mend, as being sick caused me to be depressed and I was so down on myself and discouraged that I couldn't accomplish much.

I did accomplish one very important thing though. I came up with a grocery budget and went shopping and spent $190 on groceries for this coming week...which includes all food, vitamins, cleaning supplies and toiletries for 6 adult sized people...I was pleased....following is my budget/grocery list:


GROCERIES
DINNERS WITH LEFTOVERS FOR 6 OR 7 ADULTS = $96 PER WEEK (4 MEALS)
MEAT/EGG PER MEAL: $12
DAIRY/OIL PER MEAL: $4
VEGGIES/FRUIT PER MEAL: $6
CARB PER MEAL: $2 

EAT 1) LEFTOVERS AND ROASTED ONIONS 2) EGGS AND CHOPPED/ROASTED POTATOES OR 3) SANDWICHES AND JUICE FOR OTHER DINNERS

LUNCHES - SANDWICH MATERIALS OR SMOOTHIE MATERIALS = $30 PER WEEK
BREAD, MEAT, CHEESE, LETTUCE, CONDIMENTS
BANANAS, MILK, TANG

BREAKFASTS = $20 PER WEEK
CEREAL AND MILK OR TOAST/NUT BUTTER AND MILK

BEVERAGES = $19/WEEK
64 oz JUICE
TANG
COFFEE
TEA

VIT/CLEAN/TOILETRIES = $35/WEEK

VITAMINS
GERITOL COMPLETE
C
B COMPLEX
D3
CALCIUM/MAGNESIUM/ZINC
OMEGA 3
FLAXSEED
PAPAYA (Commodore)
B6 (Bonnie)
TYLENOL
ASPIRIN
ALEVE
CHLOR TABS (Allergy)

CLEANING/TOILETRIES

CLEANING:
LYSOL
WINDEX
SCRUBBING BUBBLES
SWIFFER WET MOP CLOTHS
SWIFFER DUSTERS
BLEACH TOILET TABS

DISHES:
DISH SOAP
FINISH WITH POWERBALL
BAR KEEPERS POWDER
DISH SCRUBBIES

LAUNDRY:
ARM & HAMMER LAUNDRY SOAP
TIDE WITH BLEACH
OXICLEAN
COLOR SHEETS
DRYER SHEETS
SHOUT SET IN STAIN REMOVER

BODY:
HANDSOAP
IVORY BARS
SUAVE SHAMPOO & CONDITTIONER
SEA BREEZE
COTTON ROUNDS
Q-TIPS
TOOTHPASTE
FLOSS
MOUTHWASH
RAZORS
SHAVING CREAM (Chris)

MINIS:
TOOTHPASTE
FACE SOAP

PAPER:
TOILET PAPER
WIPES
PAPER TOWELS
KLEENEX
PAPER PLATES
ZIPLOCK BAGS (SANDWICH, QUART, GALLON, 2 GALLON)
ALUMINUM FOIL

I figure if I can save the family money, that is really making money...and since I want to be a nanny in my home primarily as a ministry and not as a big money maker, then my goal as a stay at home wife, mommy, nanny and artist is to be as thrifty as possible in our spending...another thing I accomplished this week is coming up with  ways for the kids I nanny to craft with recyclables. Following are the items to recycle and the craft items to have on hand...I have learned in my child development training and its application that open-ended art projects are best for the children's imagination and cognitive abilities, simply stated: give children the raw materials to create with and let their little minds and hearts do the creating...providing ideas in the forms of pictures (of artwork and crafts) will help spur on their thinking and creativity...


ART
RECYCLE:
COFFEE CANS
OATMEAL CONTAINERS
BOXES
PLASTIC CONTAINERS
TIN CANS
EGG CARTONS
KLEENEX BOXES (FEET SIZED)
CARDS - find at thrift stores
PICTURE BOOKS - find at thrift stores
MAGAZINES- find at thrift stores
NEWSPAPER
COMICS FROM NEWSPAPERS
TUBES (paper towel and t.p.)
JARS



HAVE ON HAND:
STENCILS
CONTRUCTION PAPER
DRAW PADS
PAINT & BRUSHES
SCISSORS
GLUE
GLUE STICKS
HOLE PUNCHER
SHREDDER
HOT GLUE AND GUN
CARDSTOCK
MARKERS
COTTON BALLS
EXACTO KNIFE
CRAFT STICKS
MOD PODGE
CRAYONS
GLITTER 
SEQUINS
BUTTONS

Another commitment I made is to not spend more than $10/week on supplies or stuff for me...i.e. I pretty much primarily shop for books, clothes, toys at the thrift store (Old Navy during their 30%-50% additional off clearance is pretty much the only other place I will shop for clothes)...I can get books from 50 cents to $2 at the thrift store and it is so fun to find the treasures that exist at these places...my aunt and I now have shops we frequent all over the area and we pick one or two each week to go to...but for me I have to put a limit and $10/week is what I have allotted....a couple of weeks ago I found a big container of Duplo blocks for $5, a children's golf set for $1.95 and wooden automobiles for 75 cents each...and the books I have found since I started thrifting, not just amazing children's books with melt-me illustrations but even books for myself
 (amazing memoirs - which are my favorite genre)...when I give myself a goal and its boundaries, I feel like God honors it and directs me to just what I need. I am going to use the children's books I find not only for books to read and reread and swoon over (yes, I love children's books), but also as means for the children I nanny to  make art using picture books...kind of like the framed children's book art that I do with prints and lyrics to accompany...I think offering children with the gift of imaginative and talented artists will help them appreciate art and want to make their own through the  inspiration and teaching tools right at their fingertips...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments make me smile..